I recently sold a house to my friend Polly – a house with apple trees. I received this wonderful box of apples from her; unfortunately, I don’t like applesauce. With all these apples, it was a good time to try a new recipe. Found one from Taste of Home and now has become our favorite apple crisp yet. I’ll be making more this weekend to give away. We need some french vanilla ice cream…
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 7 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Vanilla ice cream
- Place apples in a greased 2-1/2 qt. shallow baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt; sprinkle over apples. Drizzle with water. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oats, butter, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 8 servings.